Friday, August 10, 2007

Lost in Your Eyes...

I am sitting at work folding letters, allowing the IPod to send me back in time. A little Depeche Mode, Meet Danny Wilson and Debbie Gibson. ::sigh::

Certain songs take to specfic places in my past. Debbie Gibson's " Lost In Your Eyes" makes me think of a short road trip to Baltimore when I was in college. A few of us hopped in a car and headed to the Inner Harbor for a little fun. We went to the Aquarium and the MD Science Center and shopped in Harborplace and had dinner at Phillips. It was the quintessential "Inner Harbor" day.

On the way back to school, we were all tired and mellow. I had a huge crush on the guy driving - he was everything I never wanted (LOL) - a beer drinking smoker who had a slightly angry vibe about him. No direction and no real passion - PERFECT! LOL. Next to me was the bad boy's best friend...one of the two loves of my life (the other being Beloved in NYC) - the first one. Only, I didn't know it until that moment.

He had fallen asleep an his head dropped onto my shoulder and he looped his arm through mine. I looked at the sleepy young man next to me, sandy haired, awkward, creative and passionate and felt a warm blush wash over me. I looked into the rear view mirror and saw the bad boy looking at us and smiling - he seemed to know something I didn't. I found out later that what he knew was that the sleepy man did indeed "like" me a lot.

While all of this was happening, Debbie was crooning:

I just fell, don't know why
Something real we can't deny...

I wish I could tell you that we dated all though college and parted amiably. But it is far more complicated than that. He is married now and we hear from each other occasionally. The unresolved things between us float out there like radio waves - the same kind of radio waves that created the soundtrack in that car headed to Emmitsburg almost 20 years ago.

::sigh::

No comments: