Sunday, May 09, 2010

In the Marketplace…

Went to church today and was convicted by the message. Let me explain that phrase. We often think of “convicted” as a bad thing. We think of it as something we should be punished for. That’s not what I speak of. I am talking about hearing something that resonates so deep in my heart that it is a call to confession or a call to action. I don’t think of that as a bad thing at all. So, back to what I was saying… I was convicted by the story of Elijah.

So to give you the short version, Elijah the prophet is driven to do the will of God regardless of the consequence. He is a superhero! He tells it like it is and battles for the Lord in the boldest of ways. We are reading through the bible as a church community at National Community Church. It’s a pretty cool thing – all of the sermons and series are connected to this journey through the bible. For more info on the program, it’s called From Garden to City and you can join the journey at http://www.fromgardentocity.com/. Okay commercial over – we’re reading through Kings right now. I will confess. I was beginning to feel like Kings was going to be like Numbers (I was not a fan). Then we got to Kings 18. Elijah confronts the worshippers of Baal and challenges them to prove the power of their god. He says that they should pray to their god and he will pray to the Lord and first to bring fire will be the true Lord. His faith is so strong that he even douses the area with water and taunts the worshippers of Baal. Fast forward to the end, the God of the prophet Elijah is proven to be the true God.

Why does Elijah step to this group of disbelievers and break bad with them? What’s the end game there? What is the benefit in putting himself out there this way? If this doesn’t work, he is a dead man. There are 450 Baal supporters waiting to rip him a new one. But he has superfaith. He has a powerful spirit that is “willing to play offense and rock their world.” (Batterson) This is what we need. We need a faith that propels us into the scary places to bring light to the darkness.

I know that this is my calling. I know that this is the Great Commission. I know, I know… but what do I do about it? Pastor Mark also said today that “we better live like we believe that Jesus is God – if that is what we believe”. I know I don’t do it all the time, I know I don’t do it in uncomfortable situations. But I also know that I keep being thrown into situations where the love and light of Jesus is sorely needed. What do I do? And that is where I sat, convicted and confused.

Years ago, I felt as though my calling was in theatre. While I still feel that my career is in theatre… I also feel pulled to ministry. I know that the answer is at the intersection of these two things. I feel closer to an answer than I have ever been. There are people in my life who feel the way I do as well. I am more stable in so many facets of my life than I have ever been. I feel poised for a breakthrough.

Pastor Mark called us to participate in a Pentacost Fast starting this Thursday. I intend to participate in this fast. I will be giving up television for ten days. I hope to find something concrete to pray for during this time – clarity seems too large. I want to find my place in the marketplace….my Elijah moment. I’ll keep you posted.

No comments: