Monday, November 05, 2007

Sister Margretta takes shape

I am working on The Sound of Music at Toby's. I have been cast as "Sister Margaretta" the "nice" nun. She is the Mistress of the Postulants, which means she is the nun who is charge of the women who are contemplating a life in the clergy. She guides them through the process of discernment, where they spend time in and out of the abbey trying to find out if the cloistered life is truly what God wants for them.

Why do I know so much about this? I was in pre-postulant discernment with the Daughters of Charity in 1989 - 1990. I was in serious contemplation of a life as a nun. I had a "Sister Margaretta" in my life. Sister Mary Robert was her name. She was a lovely woman, about 35 or so, she liked a lot of the same things I did - art, music and theatre. She guided me thru the process and prayed with and for me. I invited her to come see me in a play I was doing at school. It was Agnes of God - dont laugh, yes I invited a nun to see that play.

After the show, she and I went to dinner and she told me that she had been thinking it for a while, but after seeing the show she was convinced. My calling was not as a nun. She spoke a life of theatre into my life that day. I was crushed and thought I was somehow unworthy to serve God. Now I know, Sr. Robert blessed me by sending me on... on to do the things I was meant to do.

As I look to embody "Sister Margaretta" I definately take a little Sr. Robert with me. Wisdom, gentleness, laughter and faith. You can't beat that.

I'll give you more info on what the process is like later... that was just what was on my mind today.

No comments: