Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Broken - part two - grad school

I have to withdraw from one of my classes this semester. I was so stoked that I only had one "book" course this semester. I started out very hopeful that I could keep up with the assignments especially given my new job situation was going to be so flexible.

RELATED JOB TANGENT, FORGIVE ME:When I interviewed for the job, the General Manager indicated that I would be able to work from home one day a week and that my hours would be rather flexible. This gave me hope that I could, on the day I was working from home, devote some time to doing school related work as well. She also indicated that I had an in office schedule that would allow me to have a few hours during the day to work on school work. None of this was true at all. From day one she clamped down so hard on me I still have bear trap marks on my butt.

When the flexibility I had hoped for didnt manifest, I was stymied. I tried to put in a few hours after my commute from Columbia to Emmitsburg - but that just didnt work. I couldnt put in the late hours writing and researching that I had the semester before because I now had to be to work an hour earlier with almost an hours commute. I had to lay down and go to sleep as soon as I got home or my health would suffer ( ha ha). I just couldnt make it work. Assignments were being turned in a week late or not being turned in at all.

Finally, this week, I realized, I would not pass this class. I asked to withdraw or to recieve an incomplete and finish it this summer. I am still waiting to hear what the dean has to say about that.

The thing is, in my program, I am probably the only person who is 100% in the business - morning noon and night. That is my problem and my advantage. I hope that they take that into consideration. Otherwise, I'll be studying for the GRE and applying to new schools.

The level of shame and embarassment that I have about this situation is immense. However, like I said in my previous post - this "confession" is about acknowlging my situation for what it is and moving forward. So that's how school is going...

No comments: