Monday, November 06, 2006

Walk this way.

I forgot to tell ya’ll about the Diabetes walk this past weekend. ( I say this as I chomp on Tootsie Rolls – I know, I’m stupid)

I am so proud of myself; I actually signed up, raised money and walked in the DC America’s Walk for Diabetes. It was 3miles around the Capitol and back. The day was sunny and cold. Perfect walking weather – not hot enough to get super sweaty and gross, but not cold enough to feel miserable outside. It was so easy to get to and so easy to do.

The local news guy Jim Handley was the MC and the opening to the walk was very moving. They handed out these bandanas that said “Every 21 seconds someone is diagnosed with Diabetes”. He asked everyone who had Diabetes to raise theirs. Then everyone who had someone in their family, then everyone who knew someone… the whole crowd waved the bandanas. I cried. I thought of my Dad.

God was smiling on us though, and as usual, he turned my mourning to dancing – or rather walking as my friend and I trekked up Capitol Hill and back down. I love that part of town. It was quiet and lovely. As we neared the end of the walk I started to feel the burn – but I also felt all warm inside for doing the walk.

I raised a little over 1,000 dollars from my generous friends and co workers! Totally amazing !!!

I feel very very blessed. It was a good way to start my weekend.

No comments: