Friday, July 27, 2007

Finished!


I finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows tonight at the theatre. The book was kind of slow to start and very dark. I didn't think I was going to like it. I am not one to read a lot of witches, wizards, fantasy stuff. Harry is such a likeable character - I have been sympathetic to him through six books and wanted to know how everything would turn out for him. In the end, I was not dissapointed. That, of course, is all I will say about the content of the book.

I started reading the "Harry" books when I was working for the producers of RENT. Scholastic ( the American publishers of the books) has sent one of the producers some of the series. They were thinking of producing a live action show version of them. This was before the movies came out or people were really even talking about them. The first two books has just come out in the UK and Scholastic was launching the books here.

I read a LOT. I always have. When I was answering phones for the RENT guys, this one producer was fascinated by the volume and variety of what I was reading. I always had a magazine or two on the desk and anything that came in for them (The NY Times, Variety, Billboard) I read first. So he would always ask me what I was reading. He plunked the first HP book on my desk and said " Tell me what you think of this" I read it in one night, came back to him and said " are there more of those? that was totally engaging and fun." He had one more and he told me why he had them. I told him to take the option. There was money to be made in these books.

Now, this was almost ten years ago and I don't know whether he invested or not. I hope he did. These books have been a fantastic ride. I think for many many years to come people will find hours of reading pleasure with our friends Harry, Ron, Hermione and Hagrid. I thank Ms. Rowling for the hours of fun I have had.

On to the next book!

1 comment:

Sir Fabulous Himself said...

I finished as well... yesterday... i must say, it was a little too neat for me in the end.