Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Hairspray


I saw the movie Hairspray today between shows. It was so much fun! I was skeptical, since I was a huge fan of the original film and I really enjoyed the musical ( and still hope to be in it someday). I wasnt sure that another movie was nessecary. I was wrong. This little confection was terrific. It gave some shout outs to the original film and took much of the musical and combined them into a joyful event.

I would say that my favorites were John Travolta, who gives a suprisingly vulnerable performance as Edna Turnblad and of course, Nikki Blonski who tears it up as the effervesent Tracy Turnblad. Tracy has more depth in this film than in the original or the musical. Her character actually has an arc. You're not just happy for her at the end of the film, you're proud of her.

I loved it. Go see it, you won't be dissapointed.
You can't stop the beat...

No comments: