Sunday, April 25, 2010

Being Sylvia

I have to say that being “Sylvia” in All Shook Up is still one of the best artistic experiences of my life. She’s such a great character and so much fun to play. The show is adorable and the music is Elvis… you can’t beat that!

I have had the opportunity to be “Sylvia” twice now and I no matter the circumstance, or the venue – “Sylvia” just fits like a glove. This weekend, I had the pleasure of reviving my role at the Way Off Broadway Theatre in Frederick, MD. I was understudying for a friend who had a competition to attend (she won by the way!)

I went in unsure, as usual, about being in a new place with new people. They welcomed me and celebrated my being there and basically made me feel like I belonged. Two important things came of this event… one was the confidence boost I needed desperately and two was the confirmation that my role in the world is to share what I know with others.

Several of the younger performers thanked me for the advice I had given them. It was really nice to know that my being in their world for even just a little bit made an impact. I’m a teacher. I’m an artist. I’m Sylvia.

No comments: