Monday, January 29, 2007

Day One at the Conference

I was so nervous about going to the conference. It was unfamiliar territory and I was feeling unsafe. I walked slowly to the Gaylord Texan conference center. The massive parking lot also served as an aviary for birds I never saw …spooky.

The pathway to the hotel/center looked really lovely and natural…then I took a good look at the stones I was walking on and noticed that they looked a lot like something I had seen in Disney World. Ah fake “nature”. Do you know why everything is bigger in Texas? There is so much room! The highways are all wide and there’s room galore… and they aim to fill it. LOL.

I got to the lobby of the facility and a cheerful young cowpoke opened the door for me. “Good Morning Ma’am”. Ugh. At least he didn’t say “Howdy.” It took me about 15 minutes to find the registration booth. Then I spent another 15 minutes trying to find convince them that I had indeed registered for the event. I showed them the Amex statement and they printed me up a lovely name badge.

I went through the orientation process and the first educational session. It was really interesting and I felt better prepared for the week ahead. My challenge will be to both gain an appointment or two and to make some contacts. I get so nervous and so shy that it is a real problem. The other thing is that I was sent to this thing completely unprepared. This is a training trip for me. But it’s really valuable so far.

Well, I better type up my notes and go to bed. A full day of seminars and contact making. I am looking forward to the big lunch tomorrow. Group Sales Box Office is sponsoring it and that means – Broadway show snippets! Whoo hoo :)

No comments: