Monday, January 29, 2007

"Home" Again, "Home" Again

I just finished my Whataburger and I am settled back in my big bed at the hotel. I went to the Group Sales Box Office lunch. I met a nice lady from Louisiana and we sat together. She was very interested in theatre and goes to NYC once a year to see shows. She usually makes her choices based on the presentations she sees at conferences like the one we’re at. I can see why. The show was super neat!

But I am getting ahead of myself…. I headed toward the Texas Ballroom and found myself in a big crowd waiting to get in. When they opened the doors I experienced a real Texas stampede! LOL. I even mooed ;)

My new friend and I sat down at a table in the middle of the room. Lunch was already plated and sitting in front of us. The room was kind of dim so I didn’t really see what I ate. I think it was chicken and some kind of dirty rice and some yummy green beans. The show started about two minutes after we sat down. The show was composed of ten songs from current Broadway shows. It was all understudies – but only a theatre geek like me would know or care. The ten shows were Beauty and the Beast, The Color Purple, The Drowsy Chaperone, Hairspray, The Lion King, Mary Poppins, Spamalot, Tarzan, …Spelling Bee and Wicked. It sold me on a couple of shows. I am planning a trip to NYC for a weekend to see the ABC Daytime Stars BC/EFA benefit show in February, so I am going to get a couple more shows in. Tarzan and The Color Purple are definitely in my future. If …Spelling Bee comes on tour to DC I would see that. It was funny.

After the lunch show, I went to a couple of seminars. I really liked them. One was about web marketing. She was a powerhouse and I plan on getting a couple of her books. The other was about being a good salesperson.

Then I boogied on down to the marketplace floor. This is where all the booths and stuff are. I went to the DC booth and ran into the guy who is repping the DC convention and tourism bureau. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. He started introducing me to people and giving me advice. It was fantastic! I felt like I was being taught something. I was being given access to this world that I was only on the periphery of. This is going to be alright.

No comments: