Monday, June 04, 2007

Invited Dress Rehearsal - Hamlet

The morning of first rehearsal I kissed his forehead and said a prayer.

Halfway through rehearsals I held his hand and touched his face and listened as he told me about the process.

Tonight, I sat as far in the back of the house as I could and waited with baited breath as he took the stage as “Hamlet”.

This is one of the big roles. One of the roles that can “make or break” you as an actor. It's one of the theatrical roles every actor under 30 wants to do to define themselves as an artist.I knew how important the moment was… the first appearance. The audience crackled with anticipation. He exploded onto the stage and my heart shattered with joy. He was owning it.

Was it perfect? Of course not, he is a human being and it was a dress rehearsal. He choked on a Dorito, he fell a little harder than he should have over a couch. He flubbed a line or two. He also captivated an audience for three and a half hours. He took us on the journey of a tortured young Dane and I was so proud.

When it was done, my heart hurt a little bit.

Partially because it was a moment that I could never recapture and partially because I had seen what it took to get him to that point.

As I go to sleep tonight, I say a prayer for the company and for the audiences that will get to experience this show…

but most of all for my friend…

soulkisses through the ether to you, Precious. Good job.

No comments: