Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The gauntlet has been thrown...

What if you're right?
And he was just another nice guy.
What if you're right?
What if it's true?
They say the cross will only make a fool of you.
And what if it's true?
What if he takes his place in history,

With all the prophets and the kings,
Who taught us love and came in peace,
But then the story ends.
What then?

But what if you're wrong?

What if there's more?
What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
What if you jump?
And just close your eyes?
What if the arms that catch you, catch you by surprise?
What if He's more than enough?
What if it's love?
What if you dig

Way down deeper than your simple-minded friends?
What if you dig?
What if you find?
A thousand more unanswered questions down inside
That's all you find?
What if you pick apart the logic

And begin to poke the holes?
What if the crown of thorns is no more
Than folklore that must be told and retold?

You've been running as fast as you can.
You've been looking for a place you can land for so long
But what if you're wrong?

~ What If by Nicole Nordeman

It started as soon as I got home from my cruise. E-money so kindly came and picked me up from the port and drove me home from Baltimore. I walked in the door and my friend said " I am looking at your church's website." I kept it light but inside I was starting to churn. You see my friend is a cynical sort. One that not only believes that she is right... but she truly believes that anything she doesnt believe or like is so totally wrong that you should never ever talk about it. She is very vociferous in her opinions and sometimes that makes for uncomfortable and annoying situations. I just didnt feel like "going there" with her. I had literally just walked in the door.

The conversation picked up a little later when we were having lunch. My sister was talking about how she was actively seeking a church which she could bring up children. I was telling her about how young the church is demographically and that it was probably a good fit for her. Our friend seemed a little detatched from the conversation. As we were walking into a store, she asked me if I was involved in any of the small groups. I told her about my Godspell experience as well as my participation in the Alpha course. She then said something snarky to the effect of "is there a Spanish teacher ministry?"

At this point I had to remind myself that I was redeemed with the blood of the Lamb. I wanted to smack her across her face. I replied " If you can find enough Spanish teachers to form a group, I am sure my pastorfriend (tm) could help you put it together". She just looked at me exasperated and walked away. I guess I didnt bite the way she wanted me too. Later she said " is there a dance ministry?" I told her about how there were indeed opportunities to share in a community of people who were interested in dance. As we traversed the aisles of the store, I could feel her formulating more questions. When she finally came up with one it was " Well, what about a food ministry?" I was able to say let her know that there were indeed some people who shared thier gifts of hospitality and culinary skill as part of the Alpha group, preparing delicious meals every Monday for the group. She was stymied . I was challenged.

I thought the "grilling" was done...but no. She stated in the car on the way home that she was hung up on the idea of Jesus as God. Yikes! I just dont feel equipped to answer this one. So I remained silent. She switched it up and started asking me what I believed out of the Bible. I answered her, but started to feel resentful and that she was attacking me. I was so relieved when she got out of the car.

I told my sister how I was feeling and she let me know that this was just how our friend processed things. I had to go inward and realize that this was an opportunity for me to evangelize. A chance to let someone know what I believe and why. I thank God for giving me the chance and the challenge of speaking my faith and showing how His love has transformed my life. I know that the next time our friend asks a question, it's not an attack - it's an opening.

No comments: