Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Washington is burning...

Yesterday, two of Washington's landmarks burned down. No, I am not talking about any of the monuments or museums. I am talking about things that are really Washington. The Washington of the people who live in the city. One was the Georgetown branch of the DC Public Library, where many irreplaceable historic documents were damaged and destroyed - a loss of Washington history that cannot even begin to mourn.

The one that hit me the hardest though, was Eastern Market. Not only is it a stop on the Metro, but is a place where Washington consistently came together. Just two weeks ago, after church, my sister and I walked the flea market and took in the wares of the artisans and sampled the fruits of the farmers in the open air market. I said to her as we were walking in the sunshine, skirting past the puppies and the strollers, listening to the cacophony of accents and languages... "This is Washington." I said a happy prayer of thanksgiving for the day and the city and the unparalleled joy of the moment.

I didnt know it was going to be the last time I would see the structure in tact. My thoughts go out to the merchants whose entire livelyhood is in turmoil. I share gratitude with the firefighters who have managed to salvage the structure of the building and I pray for the legislators and the community, that they will be able to rebuild... without in fighting and additional agendas.

There are pictures of the damage here, from Flickr user Erin M.

No comments: