Saturday, December 23, 2006

The Holiday Update (long post)

Happy Holidays…whatever you celebrate at this time of year, from Togetherness Day to Winter Solstice, I bring you tidings of great joy!

Another year in review :)

Winter… It began with a loss, my dear friend John Charles Gonzales Stanley passed away on January 18th after battling cancer. He was a brilliant light in my life and I miss him all the time.

In January and February I costumed two shows for area theatres and actually got reviewed in the Washington Post. Neato! Maybe I should be a costumer….

Spring, I joined a small group at the church I am attending, National Community Church. It was called Alpha and it was a great way to “plug in” to the community. It gave me an opportunity to meet other people in the church and to discuss some of the more difficult questions I was having about my faith. It was a wonderful, prayerful time and I would recommend it to anyone who is searching. Toward the end of the Alpha course, I had a car accident. The car sustained major damager and was in the car hospital for several weeks. I too sustained some damage – a ruptured ligament in my hand, which required surgery and cast for two months. Which was particularly fun as I opened a production of Beehive, the 60’s Musical at the Lazy Susan Dinner Theatre.

Summer… The lovely ladies I worked with were so supportive as I struggled with being one handed for the first few weeks of the run. The show was a LOT of fun! I got to wear some great costumes – a beehive wig and a long purple gown being two of my favorites. I sang some great tunes from the girl groups of the 60’s. The ladies I worked with were a blast. I took a jaunt in early summer to Chicago to see a terrific production of Henry IV, parts one and two at the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre. Jeffrey Carlson was stupendous in it and I can’t wait to see him in Hamlet in DC this summer. It was a lovely trip and Chicago, I think, is at its best in late spring/ early summer.

Fall… Beehive really took up a lot of time for me and I received increased responsibility at work. It’s been a challenge and a very busy time. I was working on one too many projects and not taking very good care of myself. I ended up in the hospital for a day and in bed for a week right after the dinner theatre show closed. It didn’t help that I was rehearsing a reading in Baltimore, costuming the men for the musical at the dinner theatre, fighting a cold and oh did I mention increased responsibility at work? Yeah, I made a mess of October.

The Holidays… It started off terrific with a Michael W. Smith Christmas concert at Strathmore in Rockville, MD. This hall has the best acoustics I have ever experienced! I have been working on the next show at the Susan, in a low impact Assistant Director capacity. I feel very honored that I was asked by my friend and cabaret guru, Lennie Watts to perform in one of series of benefit cabaret shows this Holiday Season. Thank goodness my dear Steven was at the piano or I would have simply been a puddle, as opposed to the quivering mess that I was! I am looking forward to having a week to myself at the end of the year to gather my thoughts, catch my breath and give thanks for the blessings past, present and future.

Looking forward… 2007 is already shaping up to be a whopper! I will be performing in a cabaret show God on Broadway and January 26, 2007. It will be at Ebenezer’s Coffeehouse – owned and operated by my church, NCC. It’s a great exploration of faith using songs from Broadway shows. I am also working on the artistic team for another special project at NCC… the musical Godspell will be produced in the Spring of 2007. I am very excited about that and I can’t wait to see what develops in the process. I am sure there will be more theatre in 2007 and I am hoping to do a solo cabaret show in New York and DC. Other than that…who knows! I am blessed and happy to be in the universe these days.

I hope that this year has been a year of growth and blessing for you. My prayer for you is that love and faith sustain you all the days of your life. If y’all get a chance, keep in touch.

May tomorrow be a perfect day,
May you find love and laughter along the way,
May God keep you in His tender care…
‘till He brings us together again.

No comments: