Sunday, December 17, 2006

Rehearsal... and showtime!

Okay, so I walk up 22nd street on my way to the benefit rehearsal. I've never been to this place so I dont know what side of street it's on. I am still pretty keyed up from the cabbie interaction. I even pull out my phone - I was trying to call MoMo and my sister in the cab and yell about the cabbie. Fortunately, the call didnt connect.

I saw the marquee accross the street and crossed. My stomach dropped and my hands started to sweat. I felt completely unprepared. I felt sick. But I crossed the street, opened the door and went in. There was a friendly face at the host stand so we chatted a little while. Over her shoulder, I saw my beloved Steven at the piano rehearsing with someone else on the bill. He gave me a wink and and tried to make that enough to calm me down. I paced and went to the ladies room and paced some more and ate about 20 cough drops. Lennie arrived and teased me and we caught up a little.Then it was my turn to rehearse. I got up on the stage and I sang my songs and really shoud be more confident. Steeven gave me the " youre crazy but I love you" look as I got swallowed up in neurosis. After I finished singing through, I felt a little better. I knew the Holiday song better than I thought I did. I wrote out the words and went downstairs to change.

Putting on one of my "singing" dresses and some of my "power pumps" from work gave me a boost. Some of the other people on the bill said some nice to me too, boosted my ego. We waited a while and then went upstairs and sat on the side to watch each other perform.

It was really neat. The bill was great and varied... some were a little odd, some were funny and some were - me! When I got up there to do my thing, I was shaking, despite that, I hit " I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For?" pretty hard and pretty well :). Then I stumbled a little on "Don't Save It All For Christmas Day", but I cleaned up at the end and I think I was well recieved. I was glad that Barry, Marty, Julie and my Sis were able to see the show.

The most important thing that happened thought, was that the fire for singing was rekindled. I feel like God gave me this opportunity to give me a little tap on my shoulder. I hear you, God - I'm listening.

No comments: