Saturday, December 30, 2006

Rehearsal

It's the first time I have been back to the dinner theatre since I went to NYC. The show is better, but still clunky. The director doesn't seem to be able to pull the best out of this company. Sometimes I think his need to be liked supercedes is role as a director. That was a lesson I learned a long time ago. You cant always be best buds with the company if you want to direct a good show. Sometimes you just have to be a jerk ( or least they think you are a jerk).

Dinner Theatre is an odd community. The actors are directors, designers, techies, actors, fans, critics and enemies. Relationships overlap and that causes all sorts of blurred lines. The Susan is a prime example of that. On the one hand, it is great because you have the opportunity to do all sorts of things.... but on the other hand, the management expects you to do everything too. Complicated, right?

I say this because after the rehearsal the director, one of the actresses in the show and I have been doing costumes for the show. Pulling and sewing and buying. So after the rehearsal, I was tagging and making a punch and shop list with the director. Who has attention deficit. So he was flitting back and forth. and it was really tough for him to concentrate. and I wanted to stab him.

We trekked off to the Salvation Army store and picked up some stuff and I think he is pleased with what he has. That's good, cuz I was tired and over it for the day.

No comments: