Thursday, December 28, 2006

Saying goodbye to the most sampled man in Music History


James Brown laid in repose at the Apollo Theatre in New York City today. He will be laid to rest tomorrow in GA. I know it might not seem like something I would blog about, but music is a very important part of my life. The soundtrack to my life does indeed include a couple of Mr. Brown exclaimations.


His influence on modern music cannot go un remarked by me, you hear him in every hot dance beat in every Rap song and every twitch of every boy band ever created. The evolution of Funk , Soul and R&B can be traced direcetly to the work of James Brown.


When the procession... that white horse drawn carriage on 125th street...pulled up to the theatre, the crowd just enfolded him. What an image! His presence and influence was so apparent - vibrant and vivid in that moment.
My Dad was big James Brown fan. He loved the outragousness. He respected the genius of his music. I know that Dicky is in crowd welcoming "The Godfather of Soul" at the gates.


Rest in Peace.

No comments: