Saturday, April 14, 2007

From Urchin to Plant in an hour...

Okay, I got up at the crack of dawn...alright 7am, and boogied up to Columbia, MD. I just barely got there on time. I run in and sign in. There are a lot of women there. I would say 20. Which is a lot for a dinner theatre callback, I think. All beautiful , all different shapes and sizes. So, at least I know that I have a good of a shot as any. It would have been much worse if I had walked in and I was the only " Jennifer Hudson" type in the room.

Anyway, we all learned the parts for harmony on the song "Little Shop..." and the three solos for the "Urchins". Then they divided us up into groups of three. We sang the songs and then they danced us.

:: cue dramatic music::

I am not a dancer, and I proved it once again at this audition. I have to get lessons. I have to do something. This is one of those things that kept me from "going for it" before. I would get so scared of being seen as elephant dancing. I would stay inside my head and not learn the whole combination.

After the combination, I was cut - but the director asked me to stay and sing for the role of "the plant". Awesome! I have always thought that role would be great as a woman. Making a "love triangle" between Seymour, Audrey and Audrey II ( the plant). Better still... I could sing to my hearts content and do it from backstage and still get paid ! LOL

Anyway, I sang with two other girls and five men for the role, read for the director and headed home. I gave a shoutout to gentleartsyfriend (tm) to let her know that I had done it and I was relieved and tired. I called my sister and she said she was getting some of my favorite pizza. I decided I was going to spend the rest of the day on the couch watching CourtTV.

I dont know what will come of the audition. I feel like I did my best. That's all I can do, right?

No comments: