Sunday, April 22, 2007

Radical for God

This weeks broadcast from Victory Church, OKC

Be radical for God.

God has put something in us to give voice to a nation, a people.

The definition of a fan is an enthusiastic, devoted follower. What does it mean to be a fan?

I have been an fan before. In fact I was a fanatic. I had the unique experience in the late 90's of being a "groupie" for the Broadway show RENT. A self described RENThead, I spent many a night sitting on the street outside theatres all along the East Coast waiting for my opportunity to sit in the front row and experience this wonderful show. I was committed to seeing it as much as I could. I wanted to know as much as I could about the writer, the work and the acting company. The messages I gleaned from the show and my experiences connected to the show influenced my life greatly... influences it still today.

During those couple of years that I was heavily involved in the RENT experience, I could connect anything to the show. I was able to articulate my own world view best through the lyrics and the themes of the show.

The message went on to define some of the characteristics of a radical fan. Pastor Mark Crow used a sports analogy, but I, of course, converted it to the theatre world.

When you are vocal about your devotion, you create more devotion.

The RENThead experience occured right at the beginning of the internet revolution. IMing was brand new and people were just starting to create communities online. RENTheads developed chatrooms and blogs and list-serves. People from across the country, around the world, formed "families" -connections based solely on thier belief in the show.

Sometimes you have to be vocal and firm in what you believe.

When I was in the middle of it all, no one could tell me a thing. I did everything in support of seeing the show and being with the people who also felt the same way I did about the show.
I actually lost friends because of the choices I made regarding RENT.

Radical fans yell and shout - they can't help themselves.

This was totally true of the times I was in the performance and I was wrapped up in the music and the experience. I couldn't help but clap and sing along.

Supporting God is radical.

This is so true. The time I spent chasing RENT was a part of my growth experience. It was filled with life lessons. I needed to make the connection to something. I had a hole in my soul I didn't know how to fill. I couldn't quantify what it was I was looking for. I felt a part of something larger than myself and that felt mighty good.

I know now that the RENT experience was divinely sent. The Lord placed me in that situation to instill and confirm the calling to the art of theatre He had placed within me a long time ago. I had the opportunity to connect with young people and speak positivity into thier lives. I knew that that opportunity was given to me for a reason. I know that down the line, that part of the experience will serve me as I find my " mission field". I think it will be as a teacher on some level...perhaps as a college theatre professor ( that's after Broadway people - so dont panic :) ).

Time has passed since the RENT days. I know now that the hole I had in me was a God shaped hole. I am walking a new path and the Lord is guiding my steps. The community I sought and tried to create ... I stepped into and was welcomed into when I joined NCC. A community of believers radically committed to raising up the word of the Lord.

Radical fans are there for every season.

God is good all the time. I endevour to love God in the losing time and the winning time. I am a fan for life and no matter what happens in the natural, my reward will be found elsewhere.

It may not look like a winning season, but we serve a winning God.

Jesus is undefeated. It doesn't matter what the score is!

Your vocalness will create influence.

That is why I am writing this. That is why am trying to find an opportunity everyday to speak it into existance. " I am devoted to God!"

Radical fans create buzz.

Those of us who sat outside the theatre's waiting for tickets to RENT were asked lots of questions. We gladly told our stories, unabashed 'testimonials' about what the show meant to us. I know we sold tickets for the show.

I hope to create that same kind of "business" for the Lord.

People dying everyday for one word of hope.

Stand up for what you believe.

Speak up for what is inside you!

We are called to illumniate the earth.

Radical fans open heaven.
The cause we serve is more important than the price that you pay.
The outcome of your life is more important than the income from your paycheck.

I hope you guys dont mind my ramblings, when I hear something that stirs me... I feel like I should share it.

1 comment:

Heather Z said...

Keep sharing this stuff, G. It's good.