Sunday, April 22, 2007

Roaring Lambs

I had heard a lot about Roaring Lambs By Bob Briner. Several people had reccomended it to me based on some of the things I had said about my work (as an artist and theatre professional)and my faith. I am certain there is an appropriate intersection or there is a new road for me that is an off ramp or a direct relation to my work in the creative realm.

People of faith have a responsibility to bring that faith into everything they do. We can be powerful influencers of the culture. Briner uses the biblical call for people of faith to be the salt of the earth as the battlecry for a cultural revolution. The book is a little dated. It was written pre 9/11 and really pre-social media. There are some things missing but the challenge is the same.

He speaks from the perspective of a television, sports and academic professional. His realm of knowlege and interest skews toward those things. I felt that theatre and dance got omitted from the book. Nevertheless, it was really easy to make the connections to my own genre.

Briner challenges us not to be complainers and protestors. We should be the creators of the culture we want to experience. We can create the content we desire. I would reccomend this book to all my compatriots in the arts. I would also suggest that this book is a good read for people who are searching for some direction. It speaks about being active in the word we live in. Faith filled influencers can be the change we are all looking for.

No comments: