Monday, April 09, 2007

Goodbye, Godspell


I think I love closings. Call me crazy. There is a lot of emotion; there is a lot of intensity. People either do the very best they can or they do the very worst – it shows you what their character was from the get go, really. It’s also a time of beginnings. The next project is often the topic of conversation.

I have worked on shows where the last show was the best because I knew I never had to do it again. I have worked on shows where I was sad to let go of a character – she had become a part of me somehow. Even now, thinking about it – some of them flash before me. Beehive- hitting that last pose in “Make Your Own Kind of Music” was a little sad. I loved those songs and I definitely loved the experience. “Tryshia” in The Last Session – as we sang “When You Care” I was filled with a lot of pain. I was moving just days later and changing my life forever. The man I loved (and still do) more than I could really express was by my side and I knew, just knew the world would never put us in that position again. Endings, beginnings…change.

Thank you first and foremost to pastorfriend™ for asking me along for the ride. To Eryn and Kacey, fellow travelers on the SB ™… thanks thanks and ever thanks – I never knew my theatre power could be used for good!

Thank you to the company (cast and band) – your journey was a pleasure to watch time and time again. I thank you for allowing me to be a part of ya’lls party.

This weekend, we bid adieu to the first show in the NCC Theater “Experiment”. I think it was a successful one and I look forward to seeing what God as planned for everyone involved. On to something new, people. We can do it, yes we can, yes we ca-an.

Godspell was a testimony, a trial, a teaching tool, a breakthrough, a small house of love built in the “Beautiful City”…

Out of the ruins and rubble
Out of the smoke
Out of our night of struggle
Can we see a ray of hope?

One pale thin ray
Reaching for the day…

We can build a beautiful city,
Yes we can, yes we can
We can build a beautiful city
Not a city of angels, but we can build a city of men.

We may not reach the ending
But we can start
Slowly but truly mending
Brick by brick heart by heart
Now maybe now we start learning how

We can build a beautiful city,
Yes we can, yes we can
We can build a beautiful city
Not a city of angels, but we can build a city of men.

When your trust is all but shattered
When your faith is all but killed
You can give up bitter and battered
Or you can slowly start to build….

We can build a beautiful city,
Yes we can, yes we can
We can build a beautiful city
Not a city of angels, but we can build a city of men.
Beautiful City, Gospell - Steven Schwartz

No comments: